TITLE: INTAKE SPECIALIST
Under general supervision, coordinates and conducts the intake assessment process to determine an appropriate provisional diagnosis, placement and/or referral for clients. Intake specialist will assess/triage individuals presenting in crisis. Assess current lethality issues to rule out the most restrictive level of care. Engage individuals and families with the purpose of de-escalating potentially threatening and/or dangerous behaviors and to maintain the safety and welfare of clients and staff at ESBL.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Engage clients and/or family members to conduct clinical assessments/intake to determine the level and/or type of care client may require.
- Assess client against criteria from DSM- IV-TR(American Psychiatric Association) to determine clinical diagnosis by conducting a mental status exam. Afterwards providing an appropriate clinical impression
- Function as a liaison and advocate for clients with community resources. Assist client with completing and following through with entitlement applications (Medicaid, Medicare, social services issues, food stamps, etc.). Admissions Counselors will provide aggressive outreach, after hours care and aftercare/follow-up services including a group.
- Obtain Bio-psychosocial background information from client as a part of the intake assessment in EDIS and develop a preliminary treatment plan.
- Provide an orientation of mental health services provided by the agency to client or family.
- Consult with a Physician or Department Supervisor when crisis intervention is required to stabilize or to rule out a current medical or psychiatric acute presenting problem.
- Assess clients using the Indiana Pre-Admission Screening Program (PASRR) assessment to determine nursing facility placement.
- Coordinate with Community Support Services (CSS) case managers to make referrals for housing/shelters or food bank/pantry in the community after intake is completed when these linkages are identified as a need.
- Perform Emergency/Crisis Intervention Services duties as required.
- Initiate a 72 hour Emergency Detention Order as directed by a physician facilitating the process of coordination of care until the client is safely within the designated ordered placement.
- All intake assessments will be conducted under the Open Access Model. An Intake Specialist will be available for evening and Saturday walk in assessments. Clients will be seen on a first come first serve basis to provide open access to services. Clients who arrive at the facility before we close will be seen the same day and not asked to come back on another day.
- Productivity for the Intake Specialist will be 95% with an expectation that seven intake assessments will be completed for each 7.5-hour workday. Support staff will be used to facilitate non-clinical activities to assure this goal can be achieved.
- Will assign client to a program or service at the completion of the intake assessment that is appropriate based on the client’s needs and preferences. Will then link the client to the support staff who will provide the first therapy appointment and the first doctor’s appointment.
- Will forward documentation for clients referred from other sources or agencies to the appropriate department for management.
- Participate in ongoing staff development training and provide quality treatment for clients.
- During the intake process, the Intake Specialist will work to establish a trust between the client/family and our organization so a therapeutic relationship can develop.
- Must demonstrate a working knowledge of ESBL procedures, policy, and organization.
- Must have the ability to use all forms of communication to communicate with people of diverse backgrounds, social and educational levels.
- Familiar with current trends, techniques, and methods of treatment in a mental health setting.
- Demonstrate competency with academic clinical training and must be clinically focused to work through difficult and sordid circumstances with which clients present.
- Maintain a minimum of the company’s productivity requirements (75%) at all times
- Complete HAP-I A and or CAFAS enrollment forms for Hoosier Assurance Plan.
- Complete the intake assessment documentation in EDIS concurrent with the intake appointment time while the client is present and submit Forward assessment package within 24 hours of completion of the appointment.
- Complete the state of Indiana ANSA or CANS assessments tool associated summary addendum along with the intake assessment in EDIS.
- For off-site intake assessments must complete the client registration and demographic information with the proper signed consent forms.
- Maintain clinical and management records in accordance with assigned services programs.
- Maintain 100% UM/UR
- Other responsibilities and tasks as may from time to time be assigned.
- Conduct all professional activity in an ethical manner.
- Conform to all applicable policies and procedures.
- In conjunction with other staff assist in identifying and eliminating any situation which jeopardizes the health and/or safety of clients, staff, or others who come in contact with community mental health center operations.
- Utilize literature, workshops and other training aids to continually improve clinical and administrative skills.
- In conjunction with supervisor, complete and implement Individual Professional Development Plan.
- Assist in assuring Edgewater Systems compliance with all related licensing and accreditation requirements.
SUPERVISED BY: Program Director
WORKERS SUPERVISED: None
- Education – Master’s Degree in a behavioral health field.
- Licensures/Certifications – License preferred.
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW)
- Licensed Mental Health Counselor (LMHC).
- Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor(LCPC)
- Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist(LMFT)
- Experience – Training in crisis intervention, de-escalation techniques
- First aid and CPR preferred.
- Knowledge of the DSM-IV TR Diagnostic Criteria from the APA.
- Capability of determining a differential diagnosis with appropriate placement within the continuum of care.
- Other – Possess a valid driver’s license.
- Furnish own inspected, automobile as needed for Center work and transportation of clients.
- A good driving record.
- Appropriate automobile insurance and valid license tags.